3 December 2009

A change of plan!

The appointment yesterday went very well. I was able to chat with my surgeon for quite some time and had the opportunity to ask all of my questions. After further consideration, he has decided to do the procedure via arthroscopy. Although he’s confident the pain is a result of a labral tear, open surgery is big operation without firm evidence, so he’ll investigate arthroscopically first.

Although the tear, if one is found, will be sorted out with this method, arthroscopy makes it harder to address the underlying cause – hence why the open procedure is preferred. If indeed the underlying problem cannot be rectified, open surgery may be required at a later date. I’m hoping that won’t be required, but if it did, at least I’d know it was to address a problem seen through the arthroscope.

I’m reaaaally happy with this decision. I’ll be out of hospital in a day or so and fully recovered in 3 months. It’s still quite a procedure and will involve partial hip dislocation, but it’s significantly less invasive than the open procedure.

Hip Arthroscopy Information

Oh, and this morning I got a call to say the procedure will now take place a week later on the 23rd December. My surgeon is already performing an arthroscopy on the 16th and he doesn’t do two arthroscopic surgeries one the same day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, I'm really glad that you had the chance to ask all your questions & that you've both decided to go this route, initially at least. Shame its right before Christmas but what better excuse to have people bring you mince pies and beer/wine while you recuperate!!! Very best of luck with the surgery & I wish you a fast recovery & a Merry Christmas. Gilly x

    ReplyDelete