30 December 2009

1 week post op

I’ve been making great progress in this first week. Since my last update I’m now able to move around the house without crutches and the two incisions are healing well. My range of movement is still very limited so I have to use a crutch if going out of the house, but it’s constantly getting better… and far more quickly than I expected pre op.

However, today I’ve been reminded why my consultant says a full recovery can take 3 months. I’m getting a very dull and downright painful ache deep in my groin, which has put me a step back from how I was feeling yesterday. As I’d been making what seemed like excellent progress I started to believe that my recovery would be speedy, but this is the most pain and discomfort I’ve had since the op and a lesson that the small cuts on the outside don’t accurately reflect what’s happened on the inside.

An eventful year is almost over. Happy New Year everyone :-)

4 comments:

  1. One step at a time I guess, it might feel like you've taken two steps back with the pain, but its all part of the recovery. The doc's have been into your hip and had a good poke about, naturally your poor body is going to feel that. Just listen to your body's needs and adjust accordingly, you are obviously getting better as you've demonstrated by getting around the house without crutches - don't be in too much of a hurry, and you'll be grand in no time. A happy new year to you when it comes! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, Happy new year!! I hope that once you're fully recovered from this op that your new year will be a pain free one with no further need of surgery. It sounds like you're doing really well but take it easy & don't push too hard too soon.
    Personally I'm hoping to take a year out from too many appointments as 2009 seemed to be nothing but!!! I know that I will have to opt for the open surgery at some point but I'm hoping to hold out till my little one is at seniors & less dependent on me for getting her to school.
    I hope the groin pain settles quickly, rest up & take care.
    Gilly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Paul. I am 5 days into recovery and am in the same boat you were at the same time. I had minimal pain for the first two days. I even got off the crutches after the first two days and was getting around the house okay. Three days in I started ramping up the simple exercises I have been given including isometric quadratus femoris exercises. But on the fourth and fifth days I have become very sore with burning groin pain and I have gone back to the clutches almost all the time. I have more surgery in two days on my other hip. I am sure this will be a long recovery. Steve

    ReplyDelete