24 November 2009

My latest concerns

I’m getting properly worried about the forthcoming operation now. It’s not the procedure that I’m really concerned about (although it is hugely invasive) – It’s more about going through all this when the problem is still kind of unknown.

In a funny kind of way, I really wanted the MRA to show a dirty great labral tear. That would’ve at least identified a true source of pain. Instead, we have a mild cam anterior impingement with no anterior pain. None whatsoever! The sharp pain when stepping in a certain way or walking up a stair is solely posterior. Maybe my minor impingement is not an/the issue?

The hip block injection seems to have eased the problem, I fairly sure of that. However, I can’t be completely sure. I’ve had spells in the past where days and weeks have passed without any catching or snagging, allowing me to lead a completely normal life without any pain. I didn’t have a hip block then, so maybe that’s what I’m experiencing now? It’s unlikely, given the gradual worsening of my hip problem, but it’s a possibility. I’m still trying to flare it up, but the other problem of pain in my glutes has taken a more prominent position of late, forcing me to lead a very sedentary lifestyle.

As the operation is just over 3 weeks away, maybe this is just a bout of pre-op nerves, or maybe I have genuine cause for concern. What is certain is that my consultant is going to get a lot of questions at my appointment next week.

Interesting links:

3 comments:

  1. If it is any help, my surgeon isn't convinced about my right hip, as the symptoms are different from the left hip and atypical (no anterior symptoms). My sports doc was sitting in on the consultation and pointed out that if the MRA is inconclusive, the next step to find the cause of pain is... to have a look inside. So surgery was the answer for me either way (though my arthroscopy is minor compared to open surgery!)

    I have trouble with my right sacroiliac joint, and I know that some of the pain I feel in that hip is referred from there. Worth having a Google for sacroiliac joint dysfunction to see if any of it fits your symptoms - if often goes hand in hand with FAI problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the hip block is working nicely, which suggests the pain is coming from the hip and not your back - I wouldn't try to flare it up though as you might be causing damage you can't feel. Did they do the MRA up to your lower back to check out any lumbosacral issues? I assume they did or he wouldn't be suggesting the surgery. Ask loads of questions and voice your concerns. If you're still not 100%, you can always ask for a second opinion? You don't have to do anything you're not sure of. But with surgery like this, nerves definitely make you doubt going through with it. Totally understandable. Could they not look at it arthroscopically first and then decide to fully 'open'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that you'll be voicing all these concerns to your surgeon well before the op date. It is major surgery & not something to rush into until you're totally sure what you're dealing with. I'll be eagerly waiting to see the outcome of your next app & what you decide to do next.

    ReplyDelete