10 November 2009

Hip block - is it working?

On Friday I had the hip block procedure at the Duchy hospital. Apart from a 4-hour wait in gowns, everything was straightforward.

Firstly I was given a local anaesthetic to numb the area, which was little more than a scratch. Then, as with the arthrogram injection, contrast dye was injected so that the final cortisone injection could be guided with fluoroscopy. It was all painless, with just a tight or full feeling after the contrast and cortisone injections.

On Saturday and Sunday I took it easy. The hip was a little tender after the injection so I chose not to test whether the block had worked. On Monday, I decided to walk to my office, which is about ¾ mile up hill. I intentionally walked briskly taking large strides - things that would often (but not always) flare things up. I didn’t have any discomfort or snagging and managed to walk home too. I’ve also been taking large steps and twisting my torso as I walk. Apart from looking rather foolish, these are usually easy ways to cause irritation but I’ve not had any of the usual symptoms. It all feels a bit odd!

I’ll keep doing things that could cause my hip to flare up. If indeed the hip block has given relief to the problem as it initially seems, I’ll be going into hospital in a little over 5 weeks time for surgery. I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.

4 comments:

  1. That's great that the block has worked and its totally normal to be nervous about the impending surgery. Try not to focus on it and if you're nervous on the day they'll give you something for it - I was given tamazepam I was so nervous, it was fabulous, was wittering away like an old fish wife an hour before surgery, loving everyone! Good luck with the surgery :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul I found your blog yesterday after finally getting a definative dxn from my hip surgeon after a year of tests, x-rays, mris also with contrast, which as you so rightly said is really nothing to worry about, although I most certainly did opt for local first!!!
    My story is a little longer however, I'm a 40 year old mum of 3, I've had Rheumatoid arthritis since the age of 23. I have since Jan of this year been dxn with Secondary Osteoarthritis bilaterally (caused by the RA), and yesterday was told that the results of my contrast mri also showed that I have FAI, definately of the left hip, but likely in the right also, (for some reason known only to my surgeon, I only had the contrast mri on the left as its slightly worse in that hip).
    So I am now researching open osteotomy as this is the surgery that my surgeon has advised should I decide to go down that route. I have a growing list of questions for him already & am in no immediate rush to get myself booked in, without first exploring all the options etc. My youngest child is only 9 & still dependent on me to get to school etc. I've been told that should the damage from the OA be worse when they get in there, they'd switch procedure to a hip resurfacing,similar recovery time, but that I'd likely still be facing further surgery after that, so I'm in 'weighing it all up' mode. If indeed the OA is secondary to the RA and not caused by the FAI, do I wait till that's bad enough for replacements etc etc, the questions are many!
    I'm so glad that I found your blog, its helped immensly. I wish you the very best of luck with your impending surgery should you proceed with it and will be regularly checking this blog for updates and more info. Oh and its a very small world as I also had my contrast mri in the RD&E as I live about 40 miles from you! My surgeon has also had me checking out the Cornwall hip foundation which is a fab site.
    Best of luck & take care. Gilly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you live in Dorchester and need hip block operation which I have had in the past at Dorchester Hospital not any more now people have to get toBornemouth how some of us cant for the times they give you I was phoned at 7.45pm and given a time and date which was not. possible so now I will have to suffer pain why why why did you change the hospitals when you cause much suffering heartless the management lets hope you get. to suffer one day God Forgive you I hope not

    ReplyDelete
  4. ice article, I was spending a lot of time for reading pain treatment, and thanks for this article:)

    ReplyDelete