9 February 2010

1.5 months post op

It’s nearing 7 weeks since I had the op and things are more complicated than before. My actual hip is doing great. I don’t have any hip pain so that side of things is progressing well. However, my range of movement is more limited than I thought and I’ve developed some really bad habits… habits that are proving difficult to change.

I mentioned in earlier posts that I started getting a problem in my leg… a sharp pain just under the skin around the greater trochanter, after what felt like a rub or snap in the side of my leg. I mentioned this to my surgeon on the 29th Jan but he wasn’t concerned about it. He said that if the inflammation doesn’t settle, a shot of cortisone should calm things down. I went to the physio department afterwards (they weren’t expecting me) and was given some stretches (one for the IT band, which helped a lot), but that’s pretty much all the physio I’ve been given since the operation. Surely that can’t be enough?

Taking matters into my own hands, I decided to make an appointment to see a physio locally. I had my first appointment early last week, with the painful problem around the GT the main area of focus (stretching, strengthening and ultrasound). Since then, I’ve not had the sharp pain back so it’s definitely going in the right direction, but I’m tight, have restricted movement, and this problem has caused other issues.

I’ve started to walk differently. I’m now walking in a way that stops my leg from hurting, kinda kicking it out to the side slightly to stop any rub over the GT. I now can’t not do it! Walking normally is almost impossible. It’s ironic really, as the reason I started to get that problem was because I walked differently to prevent my hip from hurting post surgery. So we’re trying to fix my walking and gait problems. I’ve been given new exercises and things to focus on, which I’m finding really difficult. My right leg just doesn’t work like it should. My glutes are useless too.

On the plus side, I’m able to cycle a little. I’ve been using the exercise bike often and managed to get out for a short ride by the river on Saturday afternoon. Twas lovely.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up your spirits. Mine are down just because I am dreading the chance of needing hip surgery. I have my appt. with the arthroscopic surgeon on April 2nd. Doing physical therapy in the meantime and it is not helping...

    Ken NYC

    ReplyDelete