24 January 2010

1 month post op

It’s been just over a month and things are starting to return to normal. I’m now able to walk here and there, albeit not that far, with an ever-improving range of movement. Extension is still pretty limited but it’s good enough that I don’t have to limp. I’ve been using the exercise bike for 10-15 minutes a day (low resistance) just to get the blood flowing and to keep my muscles working, which feels great.

The two incision wounds have healed and all that remains are quite minor pinky scars, which will soon be almost invisible anyway (having hairy legs has its benefits). The scar tissue beneath the skin is a little lumpy, particularly at the anterior portal, but it’s only noticeable when you apply pressure so it’s no big deal.

I still can’t be sure, but I’m feeling more and more confident that the original problem still exists. Particular sensations prior to surgery, like a feeling I get when turning in bed, have semi returned. Also, I went into the attic yesterday (yes, I’m well enough to climb a ladder… kinda) and I thought I felt the old problem. Things still aren’t 100% right after the traction stretching though, which is why I’m not certain about whether or not the old issue is still there. As I said in my last post, and as I have to keep reminding myself, it's too early to know for sure.

Last weekend the new post-surgery issue in my leg returned for a second time. In a way, I’m glad it did as it’s given me valuable information. Since this has happened a second time, I’m confident that the feeling is the same as what I get in/around my hip, just in a different place. If we’re able to find out what the leg problem is, I have hope that they’ll find the hip problem. There are a few possibilities to investigate with physio (ITBS and Snapping Hip Syndrome, for example) at my next appointment.

I’m really looking forward to talking things over with my surgeon and chatting with physiotherapists who know a lot about these things (I’m pretty sure the last lot didn’t). My appointment is on Friday (29th Jan) at the Duchy Hospital and I’ll post an update shortly afterwards.

Get well soon, Louise.

2 comments:

  1. Paul,

    Hope you are doing well. Went to my orthopedic surgeon today. He took an x-ray of my hip. He saw what may be a lower cam impingement. He has referred my to another orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthroscopic surgery. Uggh... Not feeling all to good about this right now. I will keep you posted. (Ken from NYC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul, we have similar pain and someone came onto my blog today with some really interesting stuff today... if your still suffering take a look "myfaihippain.blogspot.com' blog entry stairway to hell...
    louisa

    ReplyDelete