13 January 2010

3 weeks post op - Has it been successful?

My surgeon advised that I may feel the same/similar symptoms for 2-3 months post op, so it’s really too early for me to say for sure, but there are a few things leading me to think that the surgery didn’t fix the problem…
  • The surgeon found no damage posteriorly. This is where my pain is.
  • I’m pretty sure I can still feel the problem.
  • I’ve started to get a new issue in my leg (probably from the stretching during surgery) that feels just like the problem in/around my hip. Coincidence?
The anterior labral damage could be referred (unlikely, according to my surgeon, but you never know) and my leg could be something unrelated, so it’s too early to confirm whether I’ve been fixed or not. I’m not going to dwell on it until I know for sure.

Generally speaking, my recovery has been going really well. My ROM has improved so much since the last post and my walking is starting to look and feel more normal again, but I’ve still got a looong way to go before I have normal flexion and extension. I can just about sit cross-legged and can lie on the operated side for a short while, although it’s not yet comfortable enough to do either for any length of time.

The hospital called yesterday to ask how I was feeling and if there were any issues or complications. I like that they did that. I have a follow-up appointment with my surgeon at the end of the month, straight after which I’ll be whisked down to physio. I hope they’ll give me new and different exercises to do. I’m getting a bit bored of the current set!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, I've just finished reading this blog here http://www.understandingfai.com/ This lady is now 3 months post op so you might find it useful to read her progress as to what's normal and what's not.
    I really do hope that what you're feeling is 'normal' and that once you start the PT you'll start to feel improvement.
    Gilly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    Ken from NYC again. Just wanted to update you. I have scheduled an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon for Feb 2nd. I just want to get his opinion as to what is going on with me. Recall that my hip pain is when I go from a seated position to standing position. Once I am standing up I kinda feel a shift in my pelvis via my sacroiliac joint. Once that shift occurs I am better able to walk, and after being up and going it feels fine. I have been going to a chiropracter just til my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon to see if that will help. Guess I am just writing to let you know that your pain could be caused by the same problem? A shift in the pelvis can throw the hip out of alignment. So it could be referred from your back/si joint? I will keep you posted... Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    I came across your blog toatlly by accident and I have read your story with great interest. I do hope you are keeping well.

    I have the same syptoms as you except the pain in my buttock is there all the time know.

    My story is a bit long winded but I will try to keep it short for you.

    I am a 43yo female who had Perthes Disease as a child. I started having hip pain a year ago. It was just mild at first but gradually has become unbearable.

    My Gp referred me for Physio after 2 months and still in pain I was referred to an Orthopdic doctor. I first went to see him in February 2009.
    After seeing him he referred me for a hip injection walking test which sounds the same as your hip block injection. I had this done at the end of March 2009. This only stopped the pain for a couple of hours. I went back to see him again and was told I would need a Total Hip Replacement.
    The NHS is a bit slower up in Scotland compared to England and I was put on the waiting list to have a THP done. I was sent to a nice fancy private hospital in Glasgow to have the op done. As the hospital is quite far away from where I live I got to stay in a nice 4 star hotel the night before my pre op assesment. When I went to see the Doctor the next morning he refused to do the op because I was only 42 and would need this op done again before I was 60. I could not believe this. At least I had stayed in a nice hotel for the night at their expence. By this time the pain was so severe I had to go off sick from my job.
    Since June I have seen another 2 Orhopedic Doctors who have promised me they would sort my hip problem out for me to no avail. I have had muliple X-rays and and MRI which like you should nothing was wrong.
    I went back to see the first Orthopedic Doctor in October 2009. He referred me back to have the hip injection walking test done again. I got a letter off him in November to tell me there was a long waiting list for this to be done and he would do it himself in his theatre time. I had this done on the 8th of January 2010. I was told to go home and he would see me in six weeks. I could not believe it after I had it done I had no pain in my hip except for where he had given me the injection. This only lasted about a week and the pain started to come back. So this is where I am now I am going back to see him on the 25th February to see what he is going to do for me. I have read your link on FAI and will be taking some information about this with me when I go back to see him. I will keep you posted Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda you may want to read this group here. I also have FAI along with secondary OA (caused by RA). http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26602877291&ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mummy soz i must have being doing something wrong ive got it thanx will have a look .
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete