31 October 2010

Overdue update - 10 months post op

Following on from my last post two months ago, after a week or so of pain and discomfort I emailed my surgeon for advice. 3 days later I was back in hospital getting checked out, scanned and prodded, and my hip joint was perfect, much to my relief. My surgeon suspected I had a new tear on/around scar tissue… scar tissue on the (iliofemoral?) ligament that surrounds the joint, which he made a hole in creating the anterior portal. Anyway, after week or two of good rest, things started to get better and now it’s a distant memory. Lots of jumping around playing badminton was probably too much too soon, so I’m back to taking things nice and slowly. It’s better all the time though and feeling pretty darn good.

Someone posted a comment on this blog a few days ago wanting to know if anyone has had this operation, if it was successful and whether having it was a good decision? My responses to these questions:

Was it successful? The original problem - the deep posterior catching and pain – has gone. Was the op a good decision? This time last year my hip controlled my life and now it’s not a big concern. Sure, it’s not perfect, but it’s infinitely better than was pre-op. I’m even returning to skiing this winter (woo hoo) and I thought that would never happen. Will it ever be perfect again? I don’t know, but I don’t mind.

Good decision? Yes. Successful? Successful enough :-)

2 comments:

  1. my god your consultant is efficient, I had something similar and my consultant just gave me a lecture on how there couldn't be any remaining problem as his figures are so good, its too unlikely! Wow I'm impressed with his thorough and selfless approach, who was he again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Norton at the Duchy Hosp in Truro (Cornwall Hip Foundation). A super-efficient bunch and worth the travel.

    ReplyDelete