20 August 2010

Problems

It had all been going so well! I recently started going to the gym to get my fitness back in order and had started running on the treadmill. Only for a 5-10 minutes, but it felt ok. I then decided to try badminton with a friend in the hope that one day I’d be able to return to playing tennis, but I regret playing and now wonder whether I’ve done some significant damage.

Post op the inside of my joint hurt a little but it was never anything worth noting. However, lunging about on the badminton court has given me quite moderate pain in the joint on the anterior side (not where my original problem was, but where the surgeon did stuff). I’ve had a fairly constant dull ache for nearly 5 days now with little zips of sharp pain. It hurts to sit, as I think it puts pressure on the part of my joint I’ve hurt, and it hurts when my leg is at extension when walking.

Jumping around was a huge amount of impact on my joint, so I’m hoping it’s just sore and tender after not having done anything like it for a couple of years (although, the left hip hasn’t done anything either and that feels fine). If I’m honest, and knowing my own body, it feels like something more notable is wrong and that it’s not something that will just get better :-(

Hopefully my next post will disprove these suspicions. Until then...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have had labral repair to both left and right hip. 9 weeks after the first op I thought it would be a good idea to go on the treadmill to help fitness (only walking at 3 mph and I checked with the physio first!). Afterwards I ended up with incredible pain on the anterior part of the joint, like you not where I had the pain pre op. I found it uncomfortable to sit with my hips flexed to 90 degrees. To cut a long story short I had an extra review with the consultant who diagnosed flexor tendinitis. He said in general treadmills are not good for the joints and that anybody who has had a hip arthroscopy should never use a treadmill as you walk differently on them and it results in an abnormal load on the anterior aspect of the hip. I had to do some very specific exercises to bulk up the glutes to try and take the strain off the flexors. Do you have a review with your physio again soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul,

    Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I'm glad I know you're okay. Impact sport/activities and dodgy hips don't mix well... I want to go back to tennis too, we'll see! You might be right, maybe you need to build up to it after the op?

    What did your orthopod say about sports?

    Becky :o)

    ReplyDelete