4 August 2009

A pain in the butt

My hip has been pretty good over the last few days. I managed to walk from my house into town (about half a mile) and back twice in that time, without any notable pain, catching or twinging.

It’s quite a contrast from last week. At the weekend I went to see a friend compete in an endurance mountain bike race near Plymouth (once which I’ve competed in previously but now can’t). A slight turn or movement irritated my hip and it caused it to flare up for a few days. This is nothing new but it brought on something else…

More troubling was the pain in my right buttock and thigh. Parts of my right buttock were very tender and sore to the touch deep in the muscle, and my right leg was both numb and painful near my groin for about 6-10 inches down my leg. My whole leg felt like a lump of wood and moving it was unnatural and clunky.

I read on some other blogs that people with hip problems (FAI etc) can get sciatic nerve problems too. Looking at the route the nerve takes, it certainly seems possible that this is what was causing the problem in my glute and thigh.

I’m glad it only lasted for about 4 or 5 days. Here’s hoping it doesn’t become a regular symptom.

No comments:

Post a Comment